Support with your everyday life

Jump to a section below

You can find support for many parts of your life from:

  • disability service providers with funding from the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
  • the government.

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) helps to support people with disability to increase their independence and take part in community and working life.

To find out about the NDIS:

NDIS funded services are called NDIS providers.

To find a NDIS provider visit the NDIS Provider Finder.

There are many disability support providers in the community. They help people with intellectual disability in all aspects of their life.

To find disability support providers in your local area you can:

  • speak to your NDIS Support Coordinator
  • visit the Disability Gateway to search for services in your local area
  • do an internet search for the type of service you want in the area you live.

The government also provides support in several areas including:

  • getting a job
  • study
  • finding a home.


Infographic supports you can find for parts of your life


Supports for daily life skills


People with disability can be supported to live as independently as possible. Independent means that you can make your own choices and do some things on your own. Plans and support can be put in place to help you develop daily life skills. This could include things like:

  • cooking
  • cleaning
  • shopping
  • self-care
  • paying bills
  • taking public transport.

Speak to your NDIS Support Coordinator about skills you would like to learn.


Day centres and programs


A day centre is a place where a person with disability may go during the day to see friends and take part in activities. Many local disability services provide day centres.

Speak to your NDIS Support Coordinator about centres and programs that might be right for you.


Community activities and groups


There are many groups and activities for people with disability. They can support people to get involved in their community, make friends, and learn new skills. Examples include:

  • sports groups
  • dancing
  • singing
  • movie groups
  • going to the theatre and concerts.

Search online or ask your NDIS Support Coordinator for groups that interest you.


Job support


Job support is also known as vocational support. Job support services provide skills and education to help people prepare for work.

Many disability support providers offer support for getting a job.

Below are websites and resources about job support.


Government job services

  • Job Access can help you find support and information when you are looking for a job. Find out about available supports here.
  • You can get job support through Disability Employment Services (DES) to find and keep a job. To find a DES provider visit Job Access Find a provider.
  • IncludeAbility provides information for people with disability who are looking for work or want to start a career.
  • RecruitAbility encourages people with disability to apply for some Australian Public Service positions. Public service jobs are when you work for the government.


Educational supports


Educational supports help people with disability to study. This could be at school, university, TAFE or private colleges.

Your school will have more information available on supports they can offer.

When you study after school, this is known as higher education.

NDIS participants can get support to study after school with an NDIS educational plan. Many disability support providers also offer support with study. To find out more, discuss with your NDIS Support Coordinator.

Below are websites and resources around higher education and study.

  • The National Disability Coordination Officer Program aims to help people with disability take part in higher education. They have resources to support you.
  • The Centre for Disability Studies Uni 2 Beyond program supports people with intellectual disability to take part in university life. Students attend classes with support from a mentor. A mentor guides and assists you. As students are not enrolled, they do not pay fees to the university. Not enrolled means that students do not get a degree.
  • You may be able to get money from the government to support your education if you get a Disability Support Pension. See more information here


Housing supports


Housing supports help people with disability to:

  • find a home that is right for them
  • be more independent, e.g. be able to live on their own
  • get support in their home, e.g. help with cooking.

Types of housing support include:

  • individual housing – you live in a home on your own or with family. You can have daily support such as meals brought to you and help with transport.
  • shared housing, or group homes – where you live in a house provided by a disability provider with other people. This is for people who need more support with daily living. Daily living includes tasks you need to do to care for yourself, e.g. cooking, shopping, and cleaning. 

Housing support can be provided by:

  • disability support providers funded by the NDIS
  • the government.


NDIS housing supports

The NDIS housing supports include:  

  • Supported Independent Living (SIL) – this service provides supports for daily living and transport for people who live in their own home. Find more details visit NDIS Supported Independent Living including an Easy Read pack.
  • Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) – this type of housing is for people with very high support needs. Very high support needs means that you need someone to help care for you every day. For more details visit NDIS Specialist Disability Accommodation
  • Providing physical supports or equipment to help you do something more easily. This is known as assistive technology. For more details visit NDIS Assistive technology explained.
  • Helping people move to aged care housing when they grow older. For more details visit the NDIS


Government housing

Housing services provided by the government are known as social housing.

Public housing and community housing are types of social housing.

Public housing is provided by the Department of Communities & Justice. This is a government department.

Community housing is provided by community organisations. They get support from the government.

To find out more about social housing visit My Housing.

    Getting supported housing that is right for you

    If you are in need of supported housing or want to change your current housing supports you can:

    • discuss your options with your NDIS Support Coordinator, your GP or other health worker
    • visit Ask Izzy to find housing support or a home near you.
    • call Link2home on 1800 152 152 for information or a referral to a housing service. Link2home is open every day, 24 hours a day.
    • communicate with your manager or support staff if you live in a group home
    • make a complaint if you are not happy with your home. Visit the I am not happy with the service section for more information.