When to get help
Normal changes in your feelings
Everyone has feelings that make them feel good and feelings that make them feel bad.
Everyone has these feelings that make them feel bad sometimes:
This is normal. These feelings usually go away soon. For example, you may feel down for a day after losing a sports game, but then feel OK the next day.
Having these feelings for a short time does not mean you have a mental health problem.
When you may want to get help
Sometimes it can be hard to tell if you need to get help for your mental health.
The examples below can help you to decide when to get help. Getting help is important when:
- you are in a crisis. A crisis is when you are in danger or are very upset. If you are in a crisis, see the Emergency Help page for where you can get support.
- you have thoughts of hurting yourself or others. See the Emergency Help page for where you can get support.
- you want to find out how you can help yourself to have good mental health
- you are worried you may have a mental health problem
- you cannot stop worrying about changes you have had in life or things such as your future. Changes can be some things like leaving school, changing jobs or moving to a new house.
- you have had some stress in your life. For example, problems at home or your day centre, being bullied or having problems with friends.
- you feel a bit down or worried and would like to find out some ways you could cope with those feelings. Cope means you can deal with difficult things. Or you may not feel ready to discuss your mental health with someone. If this is the case, you could find information and support online.
If you decide that you would like to get help for your mental health, there is more information on finding the services and supports mentioned here in the Where to start to get help section.
Emergency help card
An emergency help card can keep you and others safe in a crisis. An emergency help card can support you and others to:
- know what to do in a crisis
- know who to contact in a crisis
- call phone lines that can support you in a crisis
You can use the Emergency help card template to make an Emergency Card that is right for you.