Legal and financial support

Legal support


If you need legal help or a lawyer, there are services that can help. Legal help is when you need support with things to do with the law. A lawyer is someone who knows about the laws and government rules in Australia.

  • The Justice Advocacy Service is a free service. They can give you:
    • legal help
    • provide support if you have to go to court. The courts are where people decide if someone has broken the law.

The Justice Advocacy Service can help you to:

  • know what to expect will happen next e.g. if you have to go to court
  • fill in forms e.g. for the police
  • get legal advice from a lawyer.
  • Legal Aid NSW helps people with their legal problems. They can provide legal advice and help at court. Their free legal helpline number is 1300 888 529.


Financial support


Financial support means support around money issues.

There are many services that can provide you with financial support. If you need financial support you can:

  • call the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007. Debt means that you owe money. The hotline is open Monday to Friday, from 9:30am to 4:30pm. To find out more visit.
  • call Mob Strong Debt Helpline on 1800 808 488 if you are a First Nations person. The financial helpline is open from 9:30am to 4:30pm. To find out more visit the Financial Rights Legal Centre.


Emergency food

There are groups that can help you get food if you cannot afford to buy it. Some can give you food for free. If you need food, you can:

  • search for a service here
  • call the Salvation Army on 13 72 58
  • call the St Vincent de Paul Society on 13 18 12
  • visit Ask Izzy to find an emergency food relief service near you.