About mental health and intellectual disability
There are a lot of reasons someone can have mental health problems.
- Feeling stressed for a long time
- A family member who has a mental health problem
- Health issues
- Not enough support
- Money problems
- Not doing enough exercise
- Eating unhealthy food and drinks
- Using drugs and drinking alcohol
Not all feelings that make you feel bad are a mental health problem.
Everyone has these feelings sometimes.
They usually do not last long.
You might have a mental health problem or mental illness if
- You feel bad for 2 weeks or more
- The feelings that make you feel bad keep coming back
A lot of people with intellectual disability have mental health problems or mental illness.
This does not mean that you will have mental health problems or mental illness.
Every person is different.
It is important to know about mental illness so you can get help early.
There are things you can do to have good mental health.